DIY Personal Powder


French vintage advert "Keep Smiling"
I love to DIY personal products! 

I make my own lotions, creams, bug spray, lip balm, soaps, and on and on and on...

When I had my first child over 19 years ago our pediatrician told me not to use baby powder on my child. He said they can easily breathe it in and it isn't good for their system. Use cornstarch or another natural product our bodies can break down. 


Well, it was great advice then and is still is. I have been playing with my dusting powder recipe lately. For years I have just used corn starch. I have to use a power of some kind, my skin is sensitive and I easily rash (TMI). 

I tried adding a tad of baking soda to make it more absorbent and odor fighting. Let me say it was a  big mistake. First, it was grainy and not smooth. Even with just a tsp of baking soda to a cup of cornstarch. Second, my skin hated it, it was irritating for me. 


So here is what I have landed on.  I really like the silky feeling of the arrowroot. Cornstarch is also silky. I mix the two and add my favorite essential oils to get the fragrance I like. 

In a lidded jar, I add 1/2 cup each of cornstarch and arrowroot. Then drop in a few drops of your favorite essential oils. Shake it up and its ready to go. Lavender is the most popular for powders, but my favorites right now are orange (5 drops)  and geranium (2 drops) mixed together.  I tend to go light with my oils if you like a stronger scent add more.  Some other essential oil suggestions are purification, citrus fresh, stress away, joy, valor. Let's face it there are loads of yummy smelling oils to choose from. The best part of making your own products is you get to make it just right for you! 


This little shaker was $1.00 and is perfect for the bathroom. I use a funnel to fill it from the larger jar in the top picture. I am going to get a powder puff and container set soon and fill it with my lovely powder. 

Charles of the Ritz vintage advert






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raindrop Roller

Thyroid Support & Young Living

My Version of the Aroma Lift Massage