Turning Bar Soap Into Foaming Soap

When I was a kid, my mom (or was it my big sis?) would take the bar soap ends and melt them into liquid soap or combine them to make a bigger bar. 

I love the Young Living bar soap and got the great idea while in the shower to try turning it into a liquid soap for my foaming dispensers. Foaming soap dispensers use so little soap and are a great way to stretch your dollar and pricey castile soap. 



I shaved off .5 oz off of my peppermint cedarwood bar soap. Yes, I weighed it. I chopped it into small pieces and put it in my pyrex 2 cup measure. Then I poured 3 oz. water over the soap and microwaved it. Please, not hate over the microwave. We still use ours, especially for things like this. 





I did 30 seconds and stirred. It took many short re-heatings to get it all dissolved but it was soft and lovely and smelled amazing. Next time I think I will do the double boiler method because I can control the heat and not have to transfer it in and out over and over and over...














Warning, in my microwave, if I went the full 30 seconds it nearly foamed over. So after the first two times of heat and stir,  I went to 20 seconds. 



















Now add about a cup of warm water and mix until well blended for a thick gel consistency. See the picture below!











To get the consistency of liquid dish soap I added two cups warm water and mixed to blend.  Now I have to find an old liquid dish soap bottle to hold my lovely new soap. It would make a great body wash too! 




























I poured about a tablespoon of the mixture into to two foaming dispensers and topped off with water and shook it well. It was a perfect consistency and I have wonderful new soap options!  

Remember to leave room at the top so it won't overflow when you put the top on. 
   
The cost of the soap at wholesale price is almost $3.00 an ounce. I used half an ounce which comes to approximately $1.50. That made more that 2 cups of concentrated liquid soap! There are approximately 32 tablespoons in 2 cups. That makes each soap dispenser filling about 5 cents!    





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raindrop Roller

Thyroid Support & Young Living

My Version of the Aroma Lift Massage