Finding Books for Jr High and High School Readers


I should start by saying I am not an expert anything. I am a homeschool mom with two in college and one in high school just sharing my experience.

I had one child who loved reading and two who didn't. It is hard to find books for the uninterested reader, who NEEDS to read. 


When my children were younger I read everything they read. Mostly so I knew what they were consuming, but also so we could talk about it. As they got older I did this less. Both my daughters read the Hunger Games series and really liked it. I couldn't ever get into it. They were older so I didn't force myself to read it. And we still discussed it. Mostly with me listening. 



My son does not love reading. He has always enjoyed audiobooks, but in high school, he needs to be able to read without the audio option to help him prepare for college. 

Here are some suggestions (besides those pictured already). As always check into it to see if it fits in with your family and what you want your children consuming. 


Wendy Mass was a favorite for years. She writes for all ages. For highschool, her books "Mango Shaped Space," "Heaven Look a Lot Like a Mall," and "Jeremy Fink" were a few favorites.  Check her out here Wendy Mass Books.


Another author I really like is Josh Sundquist. His book "We Should Hang Out Sometime" is a humorous memoir that my son actually enjoyed reading! You can learn more about him here Josh Sundquist

The author who is often considered the greatest humorist is P.G. Wodehouse. My kids listened to hours of him on audio when small and enjoyed the Jeeves and Wooster (starring Laurie and Fry) movies too. Learn more about him here Wonderful Wodehouse.

Don't forget the classics like the "Outsiders," "To Kill and Mockingbird" and "The Great Gatsby" It is great to read a book and then watch the movie and compare and contrast. 

I also found that classic horror (don't judge) was more suspenseful and kept my son's interest without being gory, gross or inappropriate. Things like Edgar Alan Poe, or The Red House Mystery by A A Milne (yes of Winnie Poo fame). 


If mystery is more their genre Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, and Charlotte MacLeod all hold up. For junior high age, Blue Balliet writes intelligent and intriguing books that teach them about art, history and much more in a clever way. Here is the link to her site Blue Balliet.


In the picture are all books read by my children or me. These are just the ones I had at hand and could stack up for a fast picture. They can all be found on Amazon. 

One obvious author, I haven't mentioned yet is John Green. He is definitely a favorite at our house. Check him out for yourself and see if he would be a good fit for you.  John Green writes books.




I also like the youtube educational channel "Crash Course" created by John and his brother Hank Green.  Crash Course for Highschool and College.

I would love to know what you have found to help your reluctant reader, or if there is a book that was meaningful to your family. 

I know that books seem like the ultimate thing that's made by one person, but that's not true. Every reading of a book is a collaboration between the reader and the writer who are making the story up together. - John Green



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raindrop Roller

Thyroid Support & Young Living

My Version of the Aroma Lift Massage