Favorite Christmas Reads



I know, most are complaining that we go straight from Halloween to Christmas. I happen to see Thanksgiving and Christmas as one long holiday season that flows and blends together. I am one who will listen to Christmas music November 1st. So if you aren't ready yet, come back in a few weeks. For the rest of us, put on some Micheal Buble holiday music and grab a book!

Part of feeling in the holiday spirit is reading a fun Christmas themed book. Here are some of my favorites! You will notice that many are mysteries because I love a good cozy mystery. 


Vintage woman reading book


First, is one that I read EVERY year, usually on Thanksgiving break. Charlotte MacLeod was an amazing, witty author. Reading her books is like a combination of P. G. Wodehouse and Agatha Christie. "Rest You Merry" is the first book in her Peter Shandy series. The entire series is lovely. I devoured every book. 












Book two is another Charlotte MacLeod, "Murder Goes Mumming". This is from her Madoc Rhys series. Madoc is a tone-deaf Canadian Mountie with an eccentric and fun family and plenty of mischief to manage.


"The Greatest Gift" by Ann Voskamp is a daily devotional for the Advent season. It is poetic, beautiful and has an optional Advent tree activity you can do along with the daily devotions. This is a wonderful way to prepare your heart for all the Christmas season is truly about, Christ, the greatest gift.  


This is so cliche', I know, "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens is a short wonderful read. I remember my parents reading this to us as children. I still read it, and have read it to my kids.  


"The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" is another one to read with your children but you will enjoy it too! Humorous and touching it will get you in the holiday spirit.


P. G. Wodehouse is one of my top 5 authors. He is considered the father of humor. His dialog is quick, witty, and moves the story along. "Jeeves and the Yule-tide Spirit" is a short, evening read featuring the beloved knucklehead Bertram Wooster and his manservant, Jeeves.


This next one is a coffee table book for adults and children. "The Nutcracker," by Niroot Puttapipat is a pop-up book. Beautiful three-dimensional illustrations will delight everyone. There are many nice pop-up books for adults and children available.


Agatha Christie is what made me love books in 4th grade! I had read nearly everything she wrote by age 22. Poirot is one of her most beloved characters. "Hercule Poirot's Christmas" is another that I usually read every Christmas season.



Mitford is a wonderful place to visit for the holidays! This is part of a series but it certainly can be read on its own. Though, you will want to read the whole series. I read the first 5 books in two weeks.  Jan Karon transports you to her wonderful village and you feel a part of the community. Her main character, Father Tim is loveable and human. 



This next one is on my wish list it is Ann Voskamp's, "The Wonder of the Greatest Gift" is an advent calendar of ornaments each day and a popup tree to put them on. She has another nice coffee table style Christmas book called "Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Christmas."





All of the book images came from Amazon.com. A few are available to read for free on Kindle if you are a Kindle unlimited member.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raindrop Roller

Thyroid Support & Young Living

My Version of the Aroma Lift Massage