Essential Oils and Your Plants



It is time to start our spring garden. The picture above is from last year. I am so excited for fresh veggies and herbs!

I try my best to keep my garden organic and toxin free. We have lots of grubs in our beds. Every spring we turn over the soil, remove the weeds and grass (to the best of our abilities) and remove the grubs. The grubs are really larvae of harmful insects that munch on my plant's roots! Then we amend the soil with manure, and topsoil. 

Diatomaceous Earth is a great option for insects. It is safe for people and pets but deadly to creatures with an exoskeleton. It is made from crushed up remains of diatoms, which are fossilized shell creatures.  It is a lot like powdered chalk. You don't really want to breathe it in. I sprinkle it on the bed below the plants and use a bottle to puff it out onto the leaves. Don't overdo it though. The plants can do their photosynthesis thing if you cover them to heavily! 

The other thing you have to worry about is the good insects can be hurt too. I don't want my bees or ladybugs getting any on them. I mostly apply to my squash plants which seem the most vulnerable and often turn the leaves over and mist the backside instead of the tops. 

Next up is my go-to garden spray! 


In a 24 oz (650ml) spray bottle I add:
  • 1/4 cap Thieves Household Cleaner
  • 20 drops Eucalyptus
  • 20 drops Rosemary
  • 20 drops Peppermint
  • 20 drops Thyme
  • Top off with water
I use this to spot spray trouble areas. It did wonders on my petunias we bought last year and discovered after we got them home they were covered in spider mites. 



You may already know that most insects and spiders do not like peppermint, but with this little concoction, you will keep most bad pests away. 

Don't forget to add some flowers to attract the bees and ladybugs. Germaniums and Marigolds also help keep some bad pests away! 


 

Happy Spring and garden planning. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.   ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raindrop Roller

Thyroid Support & Young Living

My Version of the Aroma Lift Massage