Canning Pickles and Garden Update


Homemade pickles! I grew up on them and love canning my own.

Here are my jars in their water bath, the lids and rings are in there too. Simmering is perfect.


Cucumbers and dill from my garden
 plus garlic, salt and mustard seed.


I poured the water out of the simmering jars and stuffed it with the ingredients. Each jar contains 1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp mustard seed, a head of dill weed, 1-2 tsp diced garlic. 




Next, I pour the brine in. My brine is equal parts hot water and vinegar. Some like plain white vinegar others cider vinegar. You should try a few options. Mark what you put in the jar so you know what is your favorite. Leave a little air space in the neck of the jar and cap with a lid and ring.


Set your filled jars back in the simmering (low boiling) water for 10 minutes. Remove and let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours. You should hear the lids seal during this time. It will be a very satisfying pop sound. 




My finished slices and spears. I like to mark the day I canned so I know the age of my pickles. Let them sit a month or longer. 


Here is the link to Ball Canning. The tried and true way to can with clear easy directions. 

Below are some garden pictures. It has grown so much and we are very pleased with our daily harvest!





Herbs! Basil, dill, sage, chives, and lavender (not shown).



Daily harvest. The large tomatoes are all mostly still green. We have only eaten a few of those so far.

This is the perfect size garden for a family with a bit left over to share.


“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raindrop Roller

Thyroid Support & Young Living

My Version of the Aroma Lift Massage